On Monday we were honoured to be invited to Nasty C’s intimate Strings And Bling listening session. Some of the guests in the room included Scoop Makhathini, Pearl Thusi, Ms Cosmo, Fred Kayembe and the OG, Wikid. The first thing I want to say to everybody reading this is that you are certainly not going be disappointed, the boy is hungry and this might be his best work ever. He defined Strings And Bling as an album about duality where the strings are the things he’s emotionally tied to like his mom, and relationships; while the bling pretty much defines his youthfulness - but it's all anchored by love.
I really can’t reveal much but the album is set to drop on the 6th of July. The things that were said at the session included quotes like, "This could be the album of the year," "Nasty might change the face of African hip hop," "Ublind jo," and "It came together organically very well." More praises for the album continued, "There's something for everyone," "To hear someone verbally actualise their greatness is nice," as well as, "A lot of international prospects come to play when listening to this album."
I’ll share 5 things that were mentioned during the Strings And Bling session that stood out for me:
- He initailly wanted to do 11 tracks but that changed.
- He picked up the producers organically and Tweezy has a joint on there (King featuring A$AP Ferg).
- Randell Abrahams played piano on one of the joints.
- He's received over a million messages on his WhatsApp groups and he insists on responding to them himself whenever he gets the chance to.
- He's about to go away for a month or so on a European tour, starting off with the One Africa Fest in London this weekend