We are currently in the fourth week of 2016 and SA Hip Hop has been everything except dull. We should of known it was going to be an epic year when Tumi set the tone on the first of January with Too Long. Tumi once proved why he is the demands so much respect when it comes to the spitting game.
Lets do a count of some of the songs that were released after that.
- Aewon Wolf dropped "Walking x Dabbing" track, music video plus a collaborative EP. Video had everyone dabbing peep Aewon Wolf's timeline.
- Anatti dropped a track on his birthday titled jump feat Nasty C and Cassper Nyovest. With over 50k downloads over the weekend Jump is taken from the joint album Cassper and Anatii say they working on.
- Chad Da Don dropped the Other Side with Nasty C. This was the biggest track that Chad Da Don dropped after EFT. The lyrical exchange was hectic. They might not have said it to each other but you can hear that it was a competition to outdo the next man. Special mention to Nasty C's "Around Here"remix which I wouldn't count as a song from him but maybe a starter.
- Black Lez dropped the infectious Spoko. I think that went over a lot of peoples heads but when tracks like this are slept on it makes me feel the mass hip hop audience is still very shallow.
- PDOt dropped a joint track with Blak Lez called Forgive'Em. Another one that I think was slept. The lyrical delivery from both gentlemen has to be noted.
- Kwesta x Cassper dropped Ngudi and I think out of all the tracks this is the closest to being a mass hit. I think this might be the next Caracara it has the same feel and the nostalgic international house inspiration makes it an easy to love track.
7.Riky Rick dropped a joint for three hours to thank his fans for watching his Fuseg video a million times plus. The reason why you dont see it here is cause he only dropped it for three hours.
8.Just when people were writing of Cassper Nyovest's capability as an artist he dropped the remix to Malome featuring Mahotella Queens. He added an additional verse on the joint and the things he says there even had Randal Abrahams giving him props on twitter. The verse was very sincere and the honesty came across.
- Out of nowhere a little known Dj called Dj Slim dropped a joint featuring Yanga, Cassper Nyovest,Emtee and Tshego. Cassper tweeted that he came up with him from Maftown when he came to Joburg hence the co-sign. This joint was a huge hit and was probably the first feature from Emtee outside his Ambitious stable.
Other special mentioned includes Lection,Morale,MB and Prof.
Do you think this is enough 2016 is going to be a big year for SA Hip Hop?
And the good news as fans is that we are still waiting for a bunch of songs and albums from many elite artists in the game. Damn what a time to be a South African Hip Hop Fan.